Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a small 8 year old Cavalier King Charles with a heart

I have a small 8 year old Cavalier King Charles with a heart condition. I think it's called mitral valve disease. He became very bloated and was coughing. A local vet prescribed Diuretics and this certainly improved the situation but he is still very weak at times. Is there any other form of medication that he should be on?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
There are other medications that he can be on if he is in heart failure. You should ask your vet if using Benzapril and Vetmedin would be appropriate for your dog. It is best to use these medications only after his heart has been xrayed and ultrasounded and his blood pressure is taken. Some people do choose not to run these tests and still do fine with these meds. Definitely ask your vet about these medications and tests tomorrow. As a side note 1000mg human fish oil capsules twice daily can also help the heart but not as much as the meds we are discussing.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan