Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

our budgie has started to crouch down on his perch more often

our budgie has started to crouch down on his perch more often then usual. his droppings are not as often and larger when he does go. he still has moments of activity between his quiet periods. he seems to be eating and drinking water as usual.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I must say that I am quite concerned about Joey.
As I am sure you can appreciate as a prey species, he will do his best to pretend all is well for as long as he can. This means once we start seeing signs like these, they are a red flag that the situation is already advanced and we need to be proactive.

Now the signs you are describing do raise concerns that Joey may have abdominal discomfort and potentially an abdominal mass putting pressure on his internal organs and compressing his non-rigid gut (which is why we see it take longer for him to pass feces and then they are larger when he finally manages to despite continuing to eat normally). In regards ***** ***** causes, we would have to consider egg binding if he is actually a female, but also organ enlargement, partial gut obstructions, and internal tumors (most commonly of the kidney or reproductive organs). Less commonly we can see nerve damage or trauma give rise to these signs as well.

With all this in mind, it would be ideal to have Joey seen by his vet as soon as possible. They can fully examine him, palpate +/- xray his abdomen to appreciate if there is anything present. Depending on what is found, this will give you and your vet an idea of treatment options and his overall prognosis for your wee lad.

If you don't have a specialist avian vet, you can check where you can find one at near you at the RCVS Register (HERE), http://www.aav.org/search/, or Avian web (LINK).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YOU GAVE YOUR ADVICE WE HAVE PAID YOU NOW STOP BOMBARDING US WITH EMAILS TO RATE YOU THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT. NOW LEAVE US ALONE

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
My dear Bryn,

I have only sent you one message, what I wrote above regarding my concerns about Joey. Therefore, I can only assume that you are referring to automated emails from the website requesting a rating (as this is how the website decides to pay/credit the vet helping you). And as you left poor feedback, I can safely say that you certainly did not credit/pay me for any answer (only were hurtful to a veterinary surgeon trying to aid you)
So, I assure you this is not me sending them but rather the webiste. Therefore, I would suggest contacting customer service as this is something I cannot control.

Take care,
Dr. B.