Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

We have a 4 month old Shih Tzu, although being diagnosed with

We have a 4 month old Shih Tzu, although being diagnosed with a heart murmur has been very active and happy. She was taken for a walk about 6.30 p.m. and returned about 7.15 and about 30 mins later started being sick, she is sluggish and cannot seem to rest in one place for more than a couple of minutes (even being held). We are trying to get her to drink but she just looks at the water. What, if anything, can we do to help her?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many times did she vomit?
2- What was in the vomit?
3- Do you know the grade of the heart murmur?
4- Has she been coughing?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She vomited about 4 times properly and 3 times watery. The solid vomit was pale in colour with the shape of her food in it. The heart murmur was a grade 4 but is to be checked again next week. She has not been coughing. Her gums appear to be pink.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she panting or having difficulty breathing?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No panting, breathing seems OK, not sure on weight but Vet was happy with weight gain 3 weeks ago. Not sure whether she ate anything but she went out with my husband for her walk and he seems to think she may have ate a slug but couldn't be sure as he could not get to her in time.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Joyce, as you may already know the immediate concern with her symptoms is her heart having a history of a grade IV heart murmur. Certainly, there could be many other causes for vomiting. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If you notice any difficult breathing or lethargy have her checked by ER veterinarian, do not wait.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter