Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a border collie, he was One year on August 2nd. He is

I have a border collie, he was One year on August 2nd. He is extremely good natured and gentle. I wasn't going to get him neutered, but he has been very interested in a female dog that's on heat. He didn't listen to my commands, and I had to keep him on lead. Is neutering his best option? previous dogs I have owned I've had done for behavioural problems, as he is so good it seems wrong to do it to him.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Actually I have two male dogs myself and they are not neutered, they are almost always good boys.

Scott Nimmo :

But I think if they were presented with a bitch in heat that I would have problems as well. Very few male dogs would be able to resist that sort of temptation, that's just nature I guess ...

Scott Nimmo :

My own take on this is that if the dog is otherwise good and obedient I would not consider neutering, it will be a rare event for your dog to encounter a bitch in season so this will be a rare event

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Linda,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Freddie is getting on. { Neutering question }

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott