Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

are conkers poionous to dogs if eaten he.s having halluinations

are conkers poionous to dogs if eaten he.s having halluinations seeing flys tongue hanging out pancing panting running backward/foreward sitting in the garden refusing to come indoors
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Manny has eaten conkers, or Horse Chestnuts.
These are listed as toxic in the ASPCA's list of toxic plants. They contain a toxin called Aesculin (a glycosidic saponin), and other saponins. These toxins cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, depression or hyperexcitability, dilated pupils, incoordination, seizures, and possibly coma. Because of their size they can also cause gastrointestinal obstructions.
If he had just eaten them I would recommend that you induce vomiting. Once the pup starts to show symptoms it is too late to induce vomiting as the chestnut is out of the stomach and the toxin has been absorbed. Inducing vomiting now could lead to aspiration pneumonia. Treatment is hospitalization, fluids to flush out the toxins and medications to control seizures if they occur. Surgical removal of the chestnut would be needed if an obstruction occurs.
The good news is that most dogs recover well with treatment. Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.