Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Hi my dog isbtaking predniselone , once a day. And clorphenamine!

Hi my dog isbtaking predniselone , once a day. And clorphenamine! Today already had 8 mg. he is very upset , feeling extremely itchy, Rubbing himself against the walls, the floor and crying and complaining a lot? Clearly in pain. The las 4mg anthistamine tablet was given to him 2 hours ago. Could i give him another one ? Its night in thr UK . I could take him tobthe vet in the morning. Thanks in advance
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ollie.
Well, giving extra prednisolone wouldn't be advised without your vet guidance.
However, the chlorphenaramine is relatively benign, and would not be problematic to give extra. So, that should be fine.
As a side note, talk to your vet about giving Zyrtec (cetirizine) instead. It is a widely recommended antihistamine by dermatology specialists in the U.S. but not sure how readily available it is for you.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy