Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has been ill for 10 days. His lymph nodes in his throat

My dog has been ill for 10 days. His lymph nodes in his throat and groin are very swollen. He has had a blood test which has confirmed that his white and red bloods cells are fine
And also that his kidneys and liver are fine. It also confirmed he is not diabetic. He has lost his appetite. He has been on antibiotics for the last 8 days. The lymph nodes in his throat have reduced in size but feel very hard and the lymph nodes in his groin are still quite swollen. He has been to the vets twice and both times they have said he has not got a temperature. He is very lethargic. My vet is stumped and does not know what could be wrong with him. Have you any ideas? Do dogs get glandular fever?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Bodie has enlarged lymph nodes in multiple locations and is lethargic.
Generally when we see lymph nodes enlarged in multiple areas we think of a systemic (throughout the body) disease process. He isn't very old so it would make sense to look for a systemic infection.
I would have expected a fever and a very high or very low white blood cell count with an infection, and it sounds like neither of those things are true in Bodie's case.
The other possibility is a cancer of the lymph nodes called lymphoma. Although we would think him too young for cancer, lymphoma is one we see in dogs of all ages. You would think we would see changes in his white blood cells with lymphoma, and sometimes we do, but more often we don't see any changes with the white blood cells.
I am glad to hear that he has had some testing done, but I believe he needs more done to get a definitive diagnosis. Ideally a biopsy of one or more of his affected lymph nodes should be done. The biopsy can identify infective agents like bacteria or fungal infections, as well as look for abnormal (cancerous) cells. If this is lymphoma then depending upon the type we have chemotherapy options which can improve his quality of life and possibly extend his lifespan.
If you would like to read more about lymphoma in dogs here is a link to a webpage with accurate information written by Purdue University, College of Veterinary Medicine:
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/pcop/canine-lymphoma-research.php
Please let me know if you have any further questions.