Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has become weak and very lethargic all of a sudden this

My dog has become weak and very lethargic all of a sudden this afternoon after a long walk in the park. I suspect poisoning of some sort. Is there anything I can do to help him ?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. An appetent dog isn't likely to be seriously intoxicated - if at all. While lethargy, wobbliness, and sleepiness are important symptoms, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder and so it's difficult for me to tell you what you might do for him other than "watchful wait" and see if anything more develops.
He may have ingested something toxic, he may be anemic, or he may simply be weak from metabolic disease including cardiac disorders. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. Such a patient will need to have a thorough physical exam performed including blood/urine tests predicated upon the findings of his exam. For now, please check his gum and tongue color - they should be nicely pink - not whitish or bluish. Please check his respiratory rate at rest. He shouldn't be taking more than 40 breaths/minute. Finally, take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. This is a two person job! Normal is 38-39.2C. I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you . I'm in watch and wait mode. He seems a little more animated now. If he is still wobbly tomorrow Inwill take him to the nearest bet. Thank you.
Sounds good. I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
May I have an update on Basil, please?