Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

i had a, large quantity of purple?pink?white substane on my

i had a, large quantity of purple?pink?white substane on my car which is parked under trees.today i spotted the in large quantity on the ground also. It dries very solid. please and help because i thought i had,had substance thrown over car and police say it is fertilizer but i am now doubtful having seen it in the ground under trees. there are lots of jackdaws,crows,wood pigeon and squirrels. This substance dries very hard and difficult to remove.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about the white/purple/pink substance that you are finding on your car which is parked under trees.
This is very likely bird droppings, the white is urates (the urine part of the dropping) and the pink/purple is the actual stool part of the droppings. It is likely that the birds are eating lots of fruit (mulberries?) and thus the dropping are berry stained. Bird droppings are highly acidic and will eat into a car's paint finish easily if they are allowed to dry and remain in contact with the car's finish for any length of time, and thus become very difficult to remove.
I suspect that the trees that you are parking under are nesting sites and/or a night-time roosting site for a large flock of birds. Here are some links that show examples of bird droppings:
http://zaktekhelp.com/assets/img/bird-droppings.jpg
http://wildliferemovalshreveport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/car-bird-poop.jpg
Unless the birds decide to live/roost somewhere else then you would be best to park your car somewhere else before the finish is ruined.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.