Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

8 year old collie x neutered male has been lame on left fore

Customer Question

8 year old collie x neutered male has been lame on left fore for over a year it started intermittently just after lying down but he now has a constant limp which painkillers do not effect. Vets thought it was a shoulder problem so did mri of right shoulder and neck but didn't find anything x rays showed nothing either, his left eye also has horners syndrome which has been for 5 months. I don't know what could be wrong with him the orthopedic vet thinks it's neurological but the neurologist isn't sure
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's difficult for me to jump into the middle of such a case particularly when advanced imaging hasn't been helpful.
By the principle of Occam's Razor, however, we can't ignore the fact that his lameness is concurrent with Horner's syndrome. While an MRI is ideal for evaluating the central nervous system (CNS) it's likely that an area of the CNS needed to be MRIed wasn't or the pathology was too subtle to see.
For example, Horner's can be caused by cervical and thoracic spinal cord damage (a fibrocartilaginous embolism/FCE which doesn't always show up on MRI; or intervertebral disk disease which should show up on MRI but not necessarily), infiltration (lymphoma, e.g.), or even intracranial neoplasia although that would be unlikely if a year has passed without your losing your Collie X.
I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you from here. Please feel free to share our conversation with your vet and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.