Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my 8yr old male staffy has a hard lump size of half a golf

my 8yr old male staffy has a hard lump size of half a golf ball on his front leg by middle joint its just appeared 2 days ago what could it be
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Red's golfball sized, hard lump present on his front leg near the middle joint.
Is this lump on the skin and freely moveable or under the skin and well attached to his underlying tissues/bone?
If it is well attached and under the skin possible causes include severe trauma and a possible fracture, a bacterial or fungal infection, or a tumor, osteosarcoma being the most common bone tumor.
If it is freely moveable and on the skin possibilities include calcinosis circumscripta, a bacterial or fungal infection or a skin tumor.
Red needs to see his veterinarian for an examination, aspirate of the lump and then further diagnostics or treatment depending upon those findings.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the lump is hard free moving under the skin he did hurt the leg while playing 3 days ago the lump appeared over night the night after there is no break in the skin nothing has pierced the skin

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the further information.
If it is under the skin, hard, but not well attached to anything (like the bone) and seemed to occur after an injury playing this may be a hematoma or deep bruise. If that is the case alternating warm and cold packs on it for 10 minutes at a time several times a day should help resolve it and make him more comfortable.
If that isn't working he should see his veterinarian as this may indicate ligament or tendon damage.