Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Cat over eating but is losing weight. Aged 11 yrs

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Figgi is getting very thin even with a good appetite.
When we see weight loss with an apparently normal or increased appetite we need to worry about disease processes that either don't allow him to digest and/or absorb the food he is taking (such as diabetes, liver disease, primary intestinal or pancreatic disease including cancers) or those that lead to a higher metabolic rate such as hyperthyroidism or cancer.
In an older cat the more common diseases we see include hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland that overproduces thyroid hormones) or if he were drinking more and urinating a tremendous amount diabetes. Sometimes early on with diabetes we only see weight loss.
Both diabetes and hyperthyroidism are treatable or at least manageable.
Hyperthyroidism is controlled with daily oral medication (Tapazole, also called methimazole) or a very special diet called y/d both of which must be done for the rest of his life or treatment with radioactive iodine to selectively kill tumor cells which is usually a one time therapy. There are pros and cons to each therapy which your veterinarian can discuss with you after getting a firm diagnosis.
Diabetes is controlled with diet and insulin therapy.
Your fellow needs a veterinary examination and some blood tests to find out why he is showing these symptoms and then discuss appropriate therapy. In the meantime make sure he has access to plenty of fresh, clean water and good quality canned food several times a day.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.