Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 11year old staffie is limping and keeps falling over,I was

Customer Question

My 11year old staffie is limping and keeps falling over,I was told it was just old age.I woody he's in pain also he has a lump on his side ,I was told it was like a cyst and nothing to worry about,however it's growing so big and looks dreadful.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets were reluctant to give you what is necessarily an unsatisfactory response. The "cyst" may not be a cyst but, instead, a tumor which has enlarged to the point at which surgery isn't an option because it would involve removing too much tissue and the resulting wound couldn't be closed. I'm more concerned about Oscar's limping and falling over which shouldn't be simply attributed to old age.
Limping and falling over suggests ataxia ("drunken sailor") and this is seen with vestibular (balance) disorders involving his inner/middle ears or perhaps a brain lesion in his cerebellum or brainstem. Myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") or tumor in or around his spinal cord as well as encephalopathies (brain disorders) such as brain tumor need to be considered as well. I understand that extensive testing at his age isn't appropriate. Advanced imaging such as MRI would likely be necessary to clarify why Oscar is so affected. It makes sense, however, to at least provide an antiinflammatory and analgesic drug to Oscar. Please ask Oscar's vet to prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam and/or a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol. It couldn't hurt.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.