Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I had two female Shih tzu one passed away 6 months ago she

I had two female Shih tzu one passed away 6 months ago she was 15 years old she had alot of problems due to her age She woke up crying one night her stomach was swelling up like a balloon she was in terrible pain then she passed away. this morning the same thing happened to her sister who was 16 years old Could you please tell me what caused there stomach to swell up

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Oh my! I am so sorry!!This must be very traumatic for you and your family.
The most common cause for this is called a Gastric Volvulus or a twisted stomach. This is not common in this breed but is common in older dogs. The stomach twists and blocks off the entrance so the gas being produced inside the stomach cannot get out and the stomach eventually bursts. This can happen due to weakened adhesions or a full meal the night before. When this happened, even with treatment, the prognosis is grave because of the very serious physiologic changes that happens causing death by heart failure. Chances are, there was nothing you or your vet could have done to change this situation.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious ***** *****!!!
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****