Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

hi have a king charles about 5years old she has started to

hi have a king charles about 5years old she has started to make horrible chocking noise she goes ridge when she does this friend has said this is her pallet please can you help me as vets are all closed till monday thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea, etc.?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she hacking like if something was stuck in her throat?
5- Is she lethargic?
6- Is she eating and drinking?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 she started sat

2 she vomit once thick white slim it look a little pink

3 no

4 yes put can not see anythink

5 dont know what that means sorry

6 very little

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Frank, the hacking you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Often we need to start them on oral antibiotics.
Other conditions with similar symptoms would be a Tracheal Collapse, this is when the rings around the trachea become weak and collapse, the dog will hack to open the trachea lumen. Finally, also important to rule out an underlying heart disease.
In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter