Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I love my cocker spaniel to bits and groom her regularly, but

Customer Question

I love my cocker spaniel to bits and groom her regularly, but when I go near her feet she has a personality change. I have to muzzle her but she still manages to jump around and I can't get near her feet. Otherwise she is fine, no limping or soreness. She runs around no problem.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This is not unusual even for well behaved dogs. Many hate having their feet worked on and will get cranky due to the fear that they will get hurt. I would recommend that you purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store, This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and may help her past this. If this is not enough, your vet will have mild tranquilizers that will allow you to work with your girls feet while attempting to Desensitize her to her fears. The more you can do this, the btter the possibility that she will understand that you are not going to hurt her. This may take much time and patience but it is worth the time.
This link may help....it explains these fears and ways to get around this.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1612
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Lesley, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your gal feels better soon!
Have a wonderful day!