Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 13 year old, border collie has very obvious eye damage,

My 13 year old, border collie has very obvious eye damage, left eye is weeping badly and
the eye is practically closed. possibly caused by running into bushes yesterday,
Is this urgent? or will it wait until tomorrow, for a PDSA clinic.
He also has the "runs" badly, most unusual, could this be related
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if there is any chance that Max's eye signs are related to running into a sharp bit of plant material (and that it could possible still be stuck in the eye under the swollen conjunctiva), then this is an urgent situation that should not wait to be seen.

Eyes are very delicate and we can often see these signs when something has traumatized or ulcerated the cornea. And as I noted, if a bit of plant is stuck in that now swollen eye, it could still be damaging the eye until its removed. So, as there is a risk of progressive, severe damage that could lead to permanent eye damage or even perforation, this would be a situation where we'd want to act quickly. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have him seen today and just avoid any risk of this being a dangerously severe eye situation.Of course, if you are PDSA eligible, you can request that the vet seeing him today just provide basic management for the eye with a view to following up with the PDSA tomorrow. But this would be a means of making sure that the eye isn't at risk.

Now in regards ***** ***** diarrhea, this is not likely to be related unless he is having a bit of stress based diarrhea. In regards ***** ***** it is a lesser issue for the moment. Therefore, you can just put him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet tends to be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. And if a infectious agent is wrecking havoc on the GI, then we want to be making his ability to gain nutrients as easy as possible for the gut. You want to offer small frequent meals, as this will also aid in decreasing diarrhea load. It he does settle on this diet, then we'd want to keep him on it for at least a week and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over another week.

Furthermore, there are some anti-diarrheals that can be used in dogs to slow things down for their gut. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure (since cures would depend on the culprit and might include antibiotics or anti-parasitics, etc.) but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the Pro-Fiber has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.

Overall, the eye situation is a major concern, especially if there is obvious corneal damage visible. Therefore, in this case, it'd be best to have the eye seen to now. The vet can examine and stain the eye to appreciate the extent of the damage. Hopefully, it will just be superficial and eye drops indicated for treatment. But as the eye is closed and he has a history of possibly getting plant material in the eye, we'd want them to check that this isn't the case (or remove what is there). Finally, just to note, if you are seeing the vet for his eye, then they can address the diarrhea for you too and dispense medication if need be.

Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have him seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have Sunday office hours. (So, you may want to ring around today since those practices often don't charge emergency rates during normal hours). As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing your local practice. If they are open, you can get him seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him seen today too.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )