Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My albino dwarf hamsters eye has become cloudy and white while

My albino dwarf hamsters eye has become cloudy and white while the other one remains bright pink as normal?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has her eye been like this?

Is the clouding over the clear eye cover (the cornea)?

Or are you seeing the haze deep within the eye (at the level of the pupil)?

Any squinting, tearing, or pus like discharge?

Is Honey rubbing the eye?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just since this morning, she doesn't seem to be bothered by it it is not weeping at all. It seems to be in the eye as opposed to covering the surface. It is still pink round the edge
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Nicola,

Now the most common cause of a sudden hazy discoloration of a single eye is when the corneal cover is traumatized or ulcerated. Often in hamsters it is due to straw or rough shaving coming into contact with the eye. Still, if you suspect that the haze is with the eye, this would raise concerns regarding cataract formation (which can be related to diabetes in this species) within the lens, internal eye infections (uveitis), and ocular tumors.

In this case, if we truly have internal haze developing, then we'd want to consider having this checked once her vet is open ( it wouldn't be an emergency if she is comfortable otherwise, which sounds the case). In the meantime, I would suggest monitoring her thirst and urination (since diabetes often causes those signs as well) and consider trying to get a urine sample (usually we can do so if we put them in a cage with no bedding for a wee while).

Otherwise, just to address possible external corneal hazing, I would note that you can flush the eye with sterile saline. This can be bought OTC as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. These would just flush out anything topical that could be causing irritation and prevent any secondary infection if the cornea is tricking you and actually involved. And this is safe to do over the weekend until her vet is open.

Overall, corneal haze secondary to eye trauma/ulceration is the most common cause for what you are seeing. Still if this is an internal haze, then we'd have to consider other other internal issues. So, I would advise monitoring her and just addressing the potential topical issues. If the haze isn't settled by her vet being open on Monday, then it is worth having this checked so that we can pinpoint the cause and aid wee Honey.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Nicola. Smile

All the best for wee Honey,

Dr. B.