Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have 3 rabbits - I went down to clean their hutch today and

Customer Question

I have 3 rabbits - I went down to clean their hutch today and I believe one is unwell. Her head looks swollen and her eyes are also swollen shut. They are not runny. I have 2 other rabbits in the hutch with her and they look fine. I have taken a picture of all three if you'd like to see them
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am quite concerned about this poor wee one.

Can you check her over and tell me if you are seeing any lumps, open abscesses, or whether her vulva or rectum are swollen as well (you may need to compare sizes with the others)?

Can you tell me if the rabbits are vaccinated?

In regards ***** ***** this would be helpful and ideal here. If you can post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (More Info). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've looked at Bubble and she is pretty swollen down there. I also took a pictureBubble (poorly one)BlueButtonBubble's bottom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no they haven't been vaccinated. They have no contact with other animals

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Tracy for the photos,

Now I must say that I am quite concerned about Bubble. To have a swollen head where the peri-orbital tissues are swelling around the eyes without discharge alongside an inflammation of the genitals does raise serious concerns about a terrible viral infection called Myxomatosis. Swelling in both these regions are characteristic of this virus. Other signs we can also see include lethargy, appetite loss, +/- fever. Just to note, she won't have had to be in direct contact with any other animals to catch this. Instead, this is typically spread by wild rabbits contaminating our yards and gardens.

In this situation, since this is such a terrible virus that carries a guarded prognosis, I must say that it'd be ideal to have her seen by her vet as soon as possible. If you cannot, then do make sure to isolate her from the other rabbits and use strict hygiene (changing clothes, washing hands, etc) between handling her and any others.

If you don’t already have a rabbit vet, and wish to find one near you, by checking here the RCVS Register (HERE) or http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ Finally, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice now to have her seen. They will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. Otherwise you can get her seen by Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends. I

Please take care,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats what i was dreading - but expecting. Thank you for your time and information.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I felt the same when you answered that her genitals and rectum were inflamed as well. I had been hoping that it would not the case, but with all her signs this would unfortunately be our top suspect here.

Please take care,
Dr. B.