Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

my dog has just been scratched by a cat near / in his left

my dog has just been scratched by a cat near / in his left eye . Does this need to be dealt with by a vet tonight
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about George.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry this has happened, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need to help George.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say then click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Customer:

Dr. Jo :

You're primarily concerned with if this needs to be dealt with tonight or if it can wait until morning. Here's the scoop on that...

Dr. Jo :

That all depends on how severe the injury to the eye is. In order to answer that question accurately, you need to have a good assessment of the degree of damage to the eye. Some people are capable of doing that themselves, but others (rightly so) rely on the trained and experienced evaluation of a veterinarian.

Customer:

My dog has been scratched near / in his left eye . He is a 7 year old Lhasa Apso . He's now not behaving like his normal self . He's a bit lethargic , not opening his left eye properly ..... he's even turning his nose up at roast lamb ! What should we do . He is generally very healthy

Dr. Jo :

If the cornea has actually been lacerated and tissue is leaking out or bulging out, this is most certainly an emergency.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for the additional description. That helps.

Dr. Jo :

I will tell you that most of the time when we see a dog whose eye has been scratched by a cat, we do no more than treat the pain and create an environment conducive to healing with lubricants and topical antibiotics. Sometimes we surgically create a bandage for the wounded eye as well.

Dr. Jo :

But sometimes the injury is so severe that emergency surgery is necessary to save the eye or restore vision.

Dr. Jo :

Because it is difficult to tell without training and special equipment just how serious the damage is, the safest recommendation for me to make is that you do NOT wait. Seek emergency attention for George as soon as possible. If it turns out the injury is minor ... well, that's good news!

Dr. Jo :

If it turns out it is a major injury, you'll have a better chance of successful treatment and no loss of vision the sooner you start treatment.

Dr. Jo :

In general, we don't like to take risks with eyes and vision.

Dr. Jo :

It's always best to have it checked out sooner rather than later.

Customer:

do we need to take him to vet tonight - and is there anything we can do now

Dr. Jo :

I would take him tonight. That's the safest plan.

Dr. Jo :

The only first aid you can do at home is to rinse or gently flush the eye with something like sterile saline or contact lens solution.

Dr. Jo :

Does George already have any prescription anti-inflammatory medication that's been prescribed for him?

Dr. Jo :

Something like carprofen or meloxicam?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
This format will allow us to continue speaking back and forth. I want to be sure I've answered your questions to your satisfaction .
Yes, please do try to have George examined tonight on an emergency basis. It's much better to be safe than sorry when it comes to eyes and vision.