Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 9 year old golden retever had the first lot off jabs on

My 9 year old golden retever had the first lot off jabs on Saturday (his booster ran out and had to start again) I think he has had a reaction to it and he now keeps breathing and panting a lot and every now and then he becomes a bit stange, he will suddenly get up and start passing for a bit. Please can you help
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request, but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over in this way.

However If you prefer I will be glad to speak to you directly by phone or by Skype or by other means, please let me know if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for this }

Regards,

Scott

Customer: Ok thanks
Scott Nimmo :

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

Vaccine reactions can and do occur and I do wonder if Barney is not suffering from this, of course I cannot be sure on individual cases via the internet, so if you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your dog over without delay, having said that I can tell you the following :

Basically there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions : These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed.

2. Mild reactions : These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four of five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus lethargy and perhaps vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves as well but the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

It seems likely to me under the circumstances that Barney may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnosis are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep him eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there are no guarantees the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days.

Of course if Barney deteriorates at all or you become further concerned then you should have him checked over by your vet ASAP.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: Thanks Scott you have been a great help I see how he goes thanks again Denise x
Scott Nimmo :

No problem Denise,

Very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Denise,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Barney is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott