Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My rescue cat came to me already spayed. However, she has twice

Customer Question

My rescue cat came to me already spayed. However, she has twice seemed to come into season since arriving. Would a urine sample tested reveal whether she has actually been spayed or not?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
No, we have three other methods for that purpose. Diagnosis is most commonly made by observing signs of estrus in a spayed cat and concurrent vaginal cytology consistent with estrus (cornified epithelial cells, absence of red or white blood cells, clear background). Documentation of serum estradiol levels greater than 20 pg/mL (greater than 73.4 pmol/L) while signs of estrus are occurring is also consistent with the ovarian remnant syndrome - the presence of functional ovarian tissue with signs of estrus after ovariohysterectomy - which is what I expect in Taylor.
The diagnosis may also be established by inducing ovulation of mature ovarian follicles during estrus with GnRH and documentation of elevated serum progesterone (>2ng/mL (6.4 nmol/L)) 1-3 weeks later.
A protocol has also been described to detect ovarian activity when a queen isn't in estrus by administering the GnRH analogue buserelin with measurement of serum estradiol 2 hours later. Serum estradiol concentrations greater than 3pg/mL (>11pmol/L) were consistent with presence of ovarian tissue.
Practically speaking, surgical exploration of cats such as Taylor when she's in diestrus (in between heats) or has been induced to ovulate may be the most expedient manner in which to proceed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Please disregard the info request.