Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a Westie who is 14 years old and has been generally

Customer Question

I have a Westie who is 14 years old and has been generally healthy. He has however suffered from a touch of arthritis in his back legs and has recently developed a limp in his front legs. After a visit to our local vet he was prescribed tramadol 10mg tablets to alleviate any discomfort.
However the tables seem to not only make him sleepy but he has started vomiting after meals.
I have stopped the course of treatment for the time being and he is much brighter, eating well and keeping his food down.
Is there anything I can give him to ease his joints, would fish oils supplements give any benefit?
Simon Nichol
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Simon. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that Simon has been struggling with the Tramadol. Now I would note that we do usually see the sedation effects of that drug wane as the dog gains a tolerance. That said, his vomiting after meals is a concerning side effect and we would need to think about pre-treating with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose)) to avoid this or consider alternatives to the Tramadol.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, fish oils can be beneficial alongside the Cosequin's glucosamine/chondroitin for the joints and would be something to consider for Oliver. Especially as it is a natural anti-inflammatory. In regards ***** ***** fish oils we use for sore joints, we tend to use the omega 3+ 6 (EPA/DHA) fish oils in these situations. Typically, we will give 180 mg EPA and 120 mg DHA per 10 lbs of body weight. So, this certainly would be something safe to consider for him.

Finally, if Oliver is really struggling with the Tramadol, I would advise speaking to his vet about the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (ie Rimadyl, Metacam, Previcox, Onsior). Now this isn't an option if Oliver has historical kidney troubles or is perhaps on steroids, but otherwise it may be an option. Of course, as he is an older lad, you may want to have his vet check a blood or urine sample to make sure his kidneys are in tip top form and these medications can be used safely. But if his kidneys are, then these would be a very good option to ease his joint soreness and keep him moving comfortably.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply, Oliver is taking steroids for a lung condition so we will certainly try fish oil supplements

Simon Nichol

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Simon,
The steroids would be a limitation with using the NSAIDs but they will at least confer a bit of anti-inflammatory effect on their own for his joints as well. So, if he is on a low dose, then his vet may consider slightly raising the steroid dose to help with his lameness. Otherwise, the fish oils are certainly worth using here. And just further to opioid use, if the Tramadol didn't agree with him, you could speak to his vet about Bupenorphine (Temgesic) as an alternative for him. This is something we use for surigcal pain, but might be a bit easier on his stomach then the Tramadol was.
All the best,
Dr. B.