Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 11 month old Hungarian Vizsla has a yellow/green discharge

Customer Question

My 11 month old Hungarian Vizsla has a yellow/green discharge from his sheath. He has been on 2 courses of antibiotics but the symptoms persist. He is not in any pain but he is constantly licking this area. He has had a urine test and there was a slight infection. He also had a swab done but this came back negative. Have you any idea what might be causing this.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Well I could be wrong in your case but very often in the past I found that antibiotics were not effective because it was more of a hygiene issue is the sheath and foreskin rather than an actual urinary tract infection.

JACUSTOMER-31ne3va1- : So what should I do?
Scott Nimmo :

I am going to be quite basic here, please excuse me. If the dog had a shower each day as human males do and rolled back his foreskin and washed the area then this problem would not occur. Sometimes in the dog you can get a build up of detritus called smegma under the foreskin and this can predispose to a very minor infection and the discharge you see.

The remedy is for you to gently roll back your dog's foreskin and wash the area with something like dilute hibiscrub at a 1:4 dilution { this is an over the counter product } or just soap and water would do almost as well. If you do this once a day for three days that should solve the problem.

Scott Nimmo :

Of course you should keep working with your vet on this one but it would do no harm to try the above first ...

JACUSTOMER-31ne3va1- : Ok. I think I have some hibiscrub the vet gave me and I did use it but it didn't appear to work. I will however give it another try for a week and see if that works. He did fall off a bridge when he was 5 months old and I was worried maybe he had damaged something inside....
Hello again Sandy,
We can keep chatting this way ...
I would doubt if this was anything internal,
There are only really two possibilities, one is a urinary tract infection in which case the urine test would have shown a massive infection or it is a chronic sheath infection, this is the more common scenario.
Also consider something like dilute hibiscrub wash as this is active against fungal infections as well as bacteria.
Regards,
Scott