Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

my dog is fine walking but when he runs he hops on his back

my dog is fine walking but when he runs he hops on his back right legs but doesn't seem in pain when playing in the house or when we touch it
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, first, it is good that there is no apparent limp when walking. So, the degree of pain/discomfort is lower.
However, why the hopping?
Well, my considerations would include:
1. Medial patellar luxation. That is when the knee cap pops in and out of place. This is quite common. Many dogs will not be painful, and will intermittently limp and go back to not limping as if nothing happened.
To be diagnosed, a vet needs to feel the knee cap with the leg flexed and extended, as well as, some x-rays would be helpful.
2. Hip problems. Generally, unless the hip is really extended, there will be no obvious pain when you palpate any other parts of the leg. So, another good reason for x-rays, because hip issues can't really be diagnosed without them.
3. Cruciate ligament tears in the knee are super common! But! Not limping when walking wouldn't be expected. Usually, there is some favoring of the leg. But, make sure to have the vet feel both knees to ensure they don't feel any obvious joint effusion (fluid buildup) in the knee joint.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy