Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My goldfish has a large pea shaped lump on top of his lovely

Customer Question

My goldfish has a large pea shaped lump on top of his lovely tail fin pls help x
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has the lump been present?

Does the lump look fuzzy?

Smooth?

Any fraying or reddening of the area around the lump?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (How To). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi it is red and black and looks like it has lumps in lumps

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi June,

I do apologize that based on your description, without a photo, I am not going to be able to aid you. Therefore, I will opt out and allow my colleagues the opportunity to do so in case they are able to appreciate what you are seeing by description alone. You don't need to reply to me (as it can make it hard for my fellow vets to see your question is open) but hopefully they will be able to help you shortly.

All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I agree with Dr B. that a photo would definitely help, but in the absence of that here is my advice: the lump is most likely to be a cyst ( one or more fluid-filled sacs), an abscess, a fungus or a tumour. Depending on which one it turns out to be, it could grow and cause more damage, affect his swimming or be infectious to other fish. It definitely needs a close eye kept on it.
Try a three-day course of potassium permanganate, available with full instructions from good pet shops or your vet. Remember this needs a darkened room to act effectively. If the lump fails to shrink, or gets worse over the subsequent four days then your next option is to take him to your vet for an assessment. If the lump is well isolated on the tail fin it may be possible to remove it fairly easily without compromising his swimming. If the lump is not worsening then your final option is to leave it alone and monitor it.
All the very best,
Vet Andrew
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience: I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your rating. Do keep in touch about the lump as I like to follow up all cases both online and 'real life'.
Kind regards,
Vet Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You will let you know if this treatment for my small but very important little fish, works. Cheers ***** *****

Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Great! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Vet Andrew