Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi I have a nursing chihuahua dog the pups are 3 weeks old

Hi I have a nursing chihuahua dog the pups are 3 weeks old and she has just spent the last 15 throwing up all the food she has been eatting all day, she's been sick 6 times now - is there anything I can do to help her / any food I can give her, because I'm consurned she won't be able to feed her 5 puppies as well as consurned about her well being
Rachel
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
You are absolutely right to be concerned about this. This is very serious for a chihuahua and even more serious for a nursing chihuahua. Giving her medicine, food and water by mouth is not going to help at this point unfortunately, we are passed that point. Waiting any longer will not only cause her to not produce milk well but she'll have her blood sugar and calcium start dropping which could trigger fatal seizures. She must see the vet to have the vomiting stopped by an injection (something she can't throw up) and if possible she needs to have her blood sugar and calcium checked. I'm sorry but this is not treatable from home and delaying treatment will change this from an urgent situation to life threatening. .
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan