Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

just found a lump on my cat's neck. it is under 1 cm. i wonder

just found a lump on my cat's neck. it is under 1 cm. i wonder what could that be? she is no longer allowing us to touch it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does it feel soft, fluidy, or hard?

Is it red, scabby, or have a pimple like appearance?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (How To). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh, she is not allowing us to look i am afraid.. i will try later on when she sleeps perhaps.

kind regards

Laura

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
No worries Laura,

We'd not be worried about this being an emergency situation for Indy, so you can take as much time as you need. If you can have a peek later and let me know what you are seeing, you and I can discuss those findings to see if we can determine the nature of this wee lump for her.

Speak to you later,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help.

It is nice to talk to someone who is so helpful.

It is rather hard.

I will take her to the vet tomorrow after work or today if she is in pain.

Much love. laura

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Laura.

If the lump is small but hard and sore, I would advise having a peek when you can to make sure this isn't just a tick having a nibble of Indy. If it is, you may just need to pop into the local pet store and pick up a tick remover (example).

Otherwise, for firm lumps this small in a cat her age, we'd be considering pimples (from bacterial infection), skin colored lumps (in response to allergies or irritation), cysts, warts, skin tags, or potential abscesses (less likely this small but a potential in this area). Of course, with masses, we always have to consider sinister cancerous ones, but based on description alone this does sound unlikely here. Especially since our ticks, abscesses, bacterial and allergic lumps would be the ones to cause discomfort when handling.

So, do have a check when she will let you and if it is a tick, then removal would be ideal. Otherwise, you may just want to salt water bathe the area to reduce any risk of bacterial issue until you have her seen.

All the best,
Dr. B.