Vet Marc
Vet Marc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal vet registered with RCVS
79068656

Hi my cat has a very swollen face on one side. I was wondering

Customer Question

Hi my cat has a very swollen face on one side. I was wondering if I can give her a small dose of piriteze as it is liquid instead of trying to get her to take piriton
Expert:  Vet Marc replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswers. My name is ***** ***** I am a registered veterinary surgeon.

I am sorry to hear Meg has a swollen face. I was hoping to gain some more information from you.
How long has her face been swollen?
And how does the swelling feel (Is it hard, soft, etc)?
What is her approximate weight?
Has this happened to her in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi her face has been swollen just this afternoon she's not eaten anything different she weighs roughly 3kg and it feels soft she doesn't like it when you touch it
Expert:  Vet Marc replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry to hear she does not like it being touched.

With a swollen face, there are a few possibilities to consider. First, as you alluded too, it could be an allergic reaction. Secondly, it could be a bacterial abscess infection. Lastly, and most unlikely due to her age, it could be a tumour.

If it is an allergic reaction, a visit to your vet is warranted. You can give over the counter antihistiamines (such a 2.5 mg of cetirizine or 2 mg of chlorphenamine). However, these are much more useful at preventing issues. Once an allergic reaction has occured, it would be best for a dose a steroid from your vet. Check the bottle of piriteze to see if it contains either of the above active ingredients. If this is the 1 mg/ mL bottle, then you would need to give her 2.5 mL. But as I said before, this drug is best for preventing allergies, not stopping a reaction. Consulting with your local veterinarian would be the best course of action.

In addition, since it seems to be uncomfortable to touch and she has been sleepy, I would be suspious that this could actually be a bacterial infection in the form of an abscess. Without physically seeing and feeling the sweling, I cannot be sure either way. If it is an abscess, it may need to be surgically lanced and she will need to prescribed medicines from your vet.

Expert:  Vet Marc replied 3 years ago.
Hi Katie,

I'm just following up with you to see how Meg is feeling. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Marc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks I took her to the vet the next day and turned she had an absess where she'd been bitten by another cat on her head. All better now