Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

I have a bearded dragon who has shown no interest in eating

Customer Question

I have a bearded dragon who has shown no interest in eating anything including locos sprinkled with calcium powder,wax worms fresh fruit and fresh veg he does occasionally drink water. he does however keeps opening his mouth and it looks like he is wretching to bring something up.What should I do as I am getting very worried about him?
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here.
Vet : It does sounds like something may be stuck in his throat, but there could be something more serious that will require immediate veterinary attention. My first move in these cases is to examine the whole body, looking for cuts or other injuries. Pay close attention to his throat. To do this, it's easier to place a small towel over the top of him so you can pick him up and examine his underside easily.
Vet : The next stage is to examine his mouth. You will need someone to help hold him, with the towel as mentioned before. Steady his head from the back and use a biro cap to gently prise his lower jaw down. If he resists or struggles, or it looks like you or he might get injured, stop and take him to a vet who may use a sedative to make things easier. If he's compliant and you see a foreign body, you may be able to remove it with some tweezers, preferably plastic ones.
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, thanks for the rating. We didn't get a chance to chat about your problem, so please feel free to post on this thread if you have any more information or need any more help. Kind regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Andrew for your reply.He wont let me look at his throat.I have given him water wich he drank.I will take kim to my vets for examination asap.

Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Good plan. Examination isn't always easy in Dragons and it's not worth struggling. Your vet will be able to check him fully for foreign bodies, abscesses and other illnesses which may be causing his symptoms. It is worth, however, having a quick look yourself in case it's something simple.
Best of luck
Vet Andrew