Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

hi there i have a yellow headed amazon parrot and recently

hi there i have a yellow headed amazon parrot and recently she has not been able to speak or squawk properly, its as if there is something stuck in her throat. she is still playing around fine. also her poo has been very watery since about a week now and she has become very sooky. thanks, darren.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet :

Hi there, vet Andrew here. How is her appetite?

JACUSTOMER-li4app11- :

she is still eating fine, sunflower seeds mostly. also forgot to say in first message that she has been chewing clothes a fair bit this last couple of weeks and scratching.

Vet :

Are her eyes looking normal?

JACUSTOMER-li4app11- :

yes they seem to be, although she has scratched the feathers off the right hand side between her eye and her beak.

Vet :

OK, with a bird presenting with these signs I would be concerned about a disease called psittacosis, which can affect humans and needs antibiotic treatment with something like doxycycline. Another possibility would be a pox virus. If the diet is of poor quality then there is a remote chance that vitamin A deficiency could be causing some of the skin symptoms. Because of the danger to humans of psittacosis I would strongly recommend you take her to a vet for assessment and treatment. In the meantime, give her plenty of fresh water to drink and some softened food. Use a kettle to create steam in her room to help her breathe. Keep everything well ventilated. Wash your hands after handling her or her cage contents and keep children away from her until she's been treated.

JACUSTOMER-li4app11- :

ok thanks very much, il make an appointment with vets tomorrow, she has a healthy diet, always eating apples grapes nuts etc. its fairly varied.

Vet :

That's good, parrots appreciate a good, fresh varied diet. While you're at the vet's, ask them to check for any skin parasites. I wish you all the best, ***** ***** let me know how you get on. Vet Andrew

JACUSTOMER-li4app11- :

i will do, thanks very much.

Vet :

No problem. Many thanks for your rating, and remember you can still get in touch via the website to let me know how you get on.

Vet, Veterinarian
Experience: I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hi Darren,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. How did you get on at the vet's?
Let me know,
Vet Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thanks for getting back in touch, i didn't actually take her to the vets. when i came back from work late that night, i checked on her and found she had laid an egg in her food bowl, i checked online and apparently its quite common. she laid another yesterday and looks like she is going to do it again. any idea how long this will go on for ? thanks, darren.

Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Ok, has her voice returned to normal?
In my experience, a parrot will lay three or four eggs in a batch as they are determinate layers, as opposed to chickens which are indeterminate and just keep on laying. In the wild, the laying is induced by lengthening days. My advice in these situations is to make sure you give her darkness by about 6pm by covering the cage or turning the lights off. This will also ensure she gets a good night's sleep. Also, leave any eggs in the cage for about three weeks as they will help inhibit further egg production, although you should only expect three or four, as I've said.
Hope this helps,
Vet Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

her voice is better but not what it was, as is her squawking. she is still fairly quiet compared to what she is normally, which is not a bad thing, ha. apart from that she is fine, still eating and drinking plenty. il wait a while and see how she does with the eggs, thanks very much, darren.