Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

I have been feeding my cat with a combination of wet (whiskers

I have been feeding my cat with a combination of wet (whiskers pouches) and dry food, the dried food is organic and contains no cereals and is low fat and aids digestion. My problem is that my female cat (5years old and spayed) is seriously over weight and has recently developed small scabs all over her body. She is regularly checked for fleas and my other 2 cats have lovely skin condition and are a normal healthy weight. Do you have any suggestions that could be the problem before I take her to my local vets?
Thank you in advance
Victoria
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here.
Vet : how much food by weight are you feeding her?
JACUSTOMER-8rnv3u3d- : 60g of dried food and 1-2pouches of wet
JACUSTOMER-8rnv3u3d- : Although I do have to stop her from finishing the other cats food when they've had enough
Vet : Ok, as long as you're meeting the feeding guidelines for her weight the food is unlikely the blame, especially as your other cats are in good condition. When an adult cat experiences unexpected weight gain and skin trouble I would be suspicious of an underactive thyroid.
JACUSTOMER-8rnv3u3d- : She has been slowly increasing in weight since I had her spayed 3 years ago, could this have triggered a thyroid problem?
Vet : That is not unusual! Cats can be greedy animals. Having said that, a single flea bite can trigger the scabs you describe, which we call miliary dermatitis. My strategy with this case would be to test for thyroid function, then suggest a treatment plan based on the result. If the thyroid is underactive then simple thyroxine treatment can completely cure the condition. If the thyroid is normal then the procedure is to manage the diet alongside anti-inflammatory treatment for the skin,
Vet : Sorry, just got your post about the spaying: yes, it can cause weight gain but this is certainly not the rule for cats. Most healthy spayed females are not overweight.
JACUSTOMER-8rnv3u3d- : I will take her to the vets first thing tomorrow then, I am quite worried about her skin as her whole body is covered especially around her neck and base of her tail.
JACUSTOMER-8rnv3u3d- : thank you for your advice, I appreciate it :-)
Vet : Good idea: make sure you give details of her feeding regime and symptoms, and discuss a thyroid test and how to manage the dermatitis (skin trouble). I wish you all the best.
JACUSTOMER-8rnv3u3d- : Thanks again
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks for your rating. Please let me know how you get on with Lucy, as I like to follow all my cases up.
Vet Andrew
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Hi Viki,

Just checking in to see how you got on with Lucy. Please let me know so I can keep track of my cases.

Vet Andrew
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi sorry for the late response.

I took Lucy to the Vets on Wednesday and as you suspected she has Miliary dermatitis caused from a flea bite even though she hasn't a single flea on her. She was given a steroid injection and I will be taking her back in a few weeks for a check up.

Thank you again for your advice.

Viki :)