Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog is 10 years old have a hearth condition. He is taken

My dog is 10 years old have a hearth condition. He is taken tablets (3) per day to eliminate water and two tablets for the hearth.
Still is not improven the breathing and coffen all the time similar he have mucus in his troug
he doesnt sleep well; maximun .30 minutes he can rest but no more than that
The Vet talk me he can not done more for him and i dont want to put to sleep.
Can you sugested another treatment.
I love him very much i dont want he die; but aswell I dont want he suffer
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for more than twenty years. I want to do the best I can to help you with your questions about your dog. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need to help him.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

I'm happy to let you know the veterinary medicine has come a long way in treating heart patients. Depending on your location, budget, and access to care, there is a lot more that can be tried for your dog.

Dr. Jo :

There are vets who specialize in cardiology and more than a dozen different medications that are used to treat heart disease in dogs.

Dr. Jo :

Many dogs require a lot more types of treatment, or different treatments than diuretics and a "heart pill".

Dr. Jo :

Pimobendan is one example of a newer cardiac drug used in dogs.

Dr. Jo :

Regardless, I want to offer you the hope that knowing there are a lot more different treatments available. The way to find out what kind of treatment options are best for Aron is to ask your vet for a referral to a specialist or someone who at least has more experience with heart disease in dogs. All of these drugs are available by prescription only, so a doctor has to see and examine Aron (and probably do some tests to determine the type of heart disease Aron has) before prescribing them. Then the plan can be fine-tuned to whatever works best for Aron.

Dr. Jo :

That being said, I also need to provide you with some sad news. When we treat heart failure in dogs, we really aren't fixing anything. Even when it works and the dog shows improvement, we aren't fixing his heart. Unfortunately, we're only buying some time. The goal is to extend his life as much as possible, but we know the heart disease will continue to progress and eventually the treatment won't work anymore.

Dr. Jo :

Sadly, we don't know if we've reached that point until we've tried everything available to us and failed.

Dr. Jo :

That can mean trying different drugs, different doses --- a variety of things.

Dr. Jo :

While there are many options that haven't been tried for Aron yet, it *is* possible his heart disease is too advanced for him to get any relief. That may be the case no matter how many specialists you see or medications you try.

Dr. Jo :

Because of that, I'm grateful to see you say that even though you love him very much and don't want him to die, that you also are unwilling to let him suffer.

Dr. Jo :

That's a very strong, generous, compassionate, and unselfish thing for you to say.

Dr. Jo :

So, in summary...

Dr. Jo :

There are many other drugs that can be tried to get Aron some relief. These need to be prescribed by a vet.

Dr. Jo :

If your vet is unfamiliar with other options for heart disease, ask him to direct you to someone who is.

Customer:

I living in halstead, kent. Do you know any specialist around here?

Dr. Jo :

I can look up what I can find online, but your local vet should be familiar with the specialists in your area. Are you at all close to the veterinary school? Even if you're not close, you can call them (or ask your local vet to), and they can help you find a specialist.

Customer:

the medication he take at the moment is FORTEKOR 2 PER DAY FLAVOUR 5 MG AND FRUSEKARE 40 MG 3 PER DAY

Dr. Jo :

If this vet is close to you, it would be worthwhile calling them:

Dr. Jo :

All Creatures Veterinary Clinic

Our address:
All Creatures Veterinary Clinic
Windsor Drive
Orpington
Kent, BR6 6EY

Tel: 01689 856220

Customer:

NO. the vet in the area sugest to put him to sleep. I change Vet and now we visit Pet at home vets in Beckton.

Dr. Jo :

Frusecare is a diuretic. This medication is used to increase urine production and thereby draw fluid out of the body and relief fluid buildup associated with heart failure. It is very basic, fundamental part of treating heart failure.

Dr. Jo :

Fortekor, as you said, is for the heart. It helps it have stronger output.

Dr. Jo :

Then I would recommend asking the Pet At Home Vet in Beckton who is the closest cardiologist.

Dr. Jo :

Also, it's important that you call them to tell them that what you're currently trying isn't working. They will want to know.

Dr. Jo :

Then they can make adjustments to his plan based on the work they've already done.

Customer:

Initial was the Vet for All creatures Vet Clinic who sugest to put him to sleep

Dr. Jo :

But please keep in mind that with ALL heart failure patients, it does eventually reach a point where nothing will work. I know that's really sad to consider, but it's a fact of heart failure. None of these pills will fix Aron's heart. They're only used to try to relieve the damage his failing heart causes.

Customer:

I already talk to them and the Vet talk me they can not give more medication is the maximun for his condition

Dr. Jo :

Right, but there are other medications that can be added.

Customer:

My point is Is him in pain?

Dr. Jo :

Based on what you described above, yes - he is suffering. I'm so sorry to have to tell you that, but I have to be honest.

Dr. Jo :

That makes me thing you really only have two options:

Customer:

I doing wrong? what can I do for him not suffer?

Dr. Jo :

You have two options for what to do to keep him from suffering:

Dr. Jo :

1. Take him to a specialist who can prescribe these other types of medications.

Customer:

Aron is taken aswell VETMEDIN 5 MG PER CAPSULE 1 PER DAY

Dr. Jo :

2. Accept the fact that you have tried everything at your disposal to relieve his suffering and follow the recommendations of the veterinarians who have said there is nothing else they can do to help him.

Dr. Jo :

Vetmedin is exactly the kind of drug I was talking about.

Dr. Jo :

Is he taking any other medications already?

Customer:

NO THAT is the only medications he taken

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, most dogs who do not experience improvement while taking these three medications at the maximum dose are not going to get better. I'm so sorry.

Dr. Jo :

As I said earlier, when we treat heart failure in dogs, the medications do NOT fix the heart.

Dr. Jo :

The medications can only attempt to relieve the symptoms heart failure causes.

Dr. Jo :

Meanwhile, the heart disease continues to get worse, and we know eventually the medications will not work.

Dr. Jo :

When that happens, it's time to make the heartbreaking and difficult decision for euthanasia. No dog should have to die from heart failure. That would be an awful, slow, and agonizing death.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry...

Customer:

in humans they done surgery and they improve the stile of life; they dont done this in dogs?

Dr. Jo :

Surgery is not something that is commonly done to treat heart failure in dogs, no. The details of this depend on exactly what kind of heart disease Aron has. In order to find out if there are any surgical options for him, you need to take him to a specialist and have chest x-rays, a cardiac ultrasound, ECG, and other tests done.

Dr. Jo :

But this is all a long shot. A very, very long long-shot.

Customer:

Okay thank you very much for you suggestions.

Dr. Jo :

My heart breaks for you ... I know this is as difficult as it gets. It's clear you love Aron very much.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No really

Customer:

thanks for all

Dr. Jo :

You're very welcome. I'm so sorry there aren't more options for Aron. :-(

Customer:

I am sorry too

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.