Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat has a tick;how do i remove it and as he visits the fields

Customer Question

my cat has a tick;how do i remove it and as he visits the fields each day is there any preventative ;possibility?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. B. :

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Dr. B. :

The best way to remove a tick would be to actually pop to your local vet or pet store to pick up a tick remover. These little contraptions will aid you in removing the tick and its mouth parts (which if left can cause infection). The tick remover I tend to use is called the O'Tom remover and you can see a video on its use & where to purchase one here (http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick)

Dr. B. :

Otherwise, you can even pop your kitty into the vets as most practices will offer free or low cost nurse appointments for simple tick removal.

Dr. B. :

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatments, we tend to use the spot on products Frontline (available OTC at most pharmacies and even grocery stores) or Effipro (LINK). Both can help reduce active tick issues. And I would note that if you were applying one today, our wee tick friend would likely detach itself and leave of its own accord (before dying).

Dr. B. :

Overall, those would be the best course of action here, since using household items not designed for removing ticks will often lead to mouthparths left and infection. So, do consider the above to avoid that. And since you do appear offline just now, I will swap from chat to Q&A so you can read my response at your leisure.

Dr. B. :

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )