Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Our lab 5 yrs old has had diarrhoea and vomiting for three

Our lab 5 yrs old has had diarrhoea and vomiting for three days with discharge from his eyes. He now seems to be itchy and has scratched his nose giving himself a sore. His vomiting and diarrhoea has gone. What should I do? I have deflead him with advocate too. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

It does sound like your lad has been bombarded by a few different issues. Now can you tell me:

Does he still have eye discharge?

Does he seem to be just rubbing his face or his eyes?

Or is he itching everywhere?

Any changes to his skin (ie redness, scabs, sores, ulcers, pimples, or pustules)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No longer eye discharge. Rubbing his nose and there is now a red sore.

He has been scratching his coat and face. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He no longer has eye discharge. But now has a sore on his nose red and has scratched his face and is scratching his body. I have deflead him. He is now eating ok. thank you.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Now I suspect his GI signs were just a self-limiting GI upset due to a potential dietary indiscretion. And if those signs and his runny eyes have settled, then we can focus on this itchiness.

In regards ***** ***** we often see itchiness related to allergies (even potentially to whatever he may have eaten to cause that GI upset). In this case, I am glad that you have treated with Advocate to rule out active flea, mite and lice issues here. Further to that, we do need to tackle that itch itself. To do so, as long as we don't have the skin changes I asked about (as those would suggest bacterial infection and antibiotics from his vet would be indicated), you can start him on an antihistamine. Typically we will use Piriton (chlorphenamine). It is available OTC at the chemists and you can give a full grown lab 4mg (1 tablet) up to three times daily. Do note that this can cause drowsiness and of course we'd want to double check with his vet if he has any ongoing health issues or is on any medication you didn't mention.

While treating with that, we would want to also tend that nose store. If it is raw, then you can bathe it with a mild antiseptic. Since there is a risk of him licking the area, we would want to use dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This can be done 2-3 times daily and dried afterwards. While doing so, do monitor his rubbing of his nose. While it fits with his itchiness elsewhere, we just want to make sure that he isn't doing so because something (ie grass, seeds, dirt, etc) is stuck in the nose on that side. So, do keep an eye for any sneezing or discharge from the nostril on the sore side. If you see these, we'd be concerned something is stuck in the nose and causing irritation and would want him checked by his vet.

Overall, his signs are likely not linked to the recent GI upset. Therefore, in regards ***** ***** his current skin signs, we'd want to trial him on an antihistamine and bathe that sore nose. If his signs are mild and have just started, then this will help nip this in the bud. Of course, if he is severely itchy or showing those nasal signs I noted, then we'd want to follow up with his vet for evaluation and to have them dispense a course of steroids if need be.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.