Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my hamster has a large red patch on her chest (looks like congealed

my hamster has a large red patch on her chest (looks like congealed blood) have taken her to the vet and been prescribed Flamazine, as the vet believed she has scratched herself and caused damage. This evening when applying the cream i noticed that the side of her mouth seemed to have a red bumpy mark on it. My vet has said she does not have mites as fur clear. I feel that she has some kind of infection, particularly as it seems to be spreading?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your history of this skin lesion, I would be concerned that Bear may have an ulcerative dermatitis caused by Staph skin bacteria. Often these can arise after the hamster traumatizes the skin such that these opportunistic skin bacteria are able to gain a foot hold and cause infection. Now the bathing and Flamazine (which is a topical antibacterial treatment) will help with topical bacterial infection.
That said, if her skin isn't settling, severely affected, and you are seeing bacterial pustules at the mouth, then oral antibiotics may also be required. Often in cases of diffuse infection (especially near the mouth where we cannot apply creams for worry of the hamster just licking it off), we will use oral antibiotics. Therefore, if you are seeing this spread, then you are right to be concerned. And I would strongly advise ringing her vet with an update. Since she was recently seen for this condition, the vet will likely be willing to just dispense oral antibiotics for you (+/- hamster safe anti-inflammatories if you suspect she is painful as well) to use at the same time as the Flamazine to ensure that you tackle this for Bear and settle this bacterial dermatitis.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )