Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

my dog has a bandage on his paw due to stitches for a cut The

my dog has a bandage on his paw due to stitches for a cut The bandage is wet with him licking it. Is it safe to leave it till tomorrow when the vet is open again.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I do not like to have moist bandages on. I would remove it as soon as possible.

Dr. Susan :

To protect the wound, you can keep him in an Elizabethan collar (cone). It sounds like this will be a good idea even after it has been rebandaged.

Dr. Susan :

This will prevent him from licking and getting it wet again.

Dr. Susan :

Then, in the meantime, you can keep the wound clean by keeping him indoors as much as possible.

Dr. Susan :

When he goes out to urinate/defecate, you can cover his paw with a plastic bag, such as from a loaf of bread.

Dr. Susan :

Then use a rubber band to keep the bag up on his leg.

Dr. Susan :

He MUST have the rubber band removed immediately upon re-entry into the house. We can cause serious blood supply problems if the rubber band is left on his leg.

Customer:

you did not answer my question

Dr. Susan :

I'm sorry you feel that way. I said you should remove the bandage now.

Dr. Susan :

Did that not answer your question?

Customer:

i did not see that answer

Dr. Susan :

I'm not entirely sure what the chat looks like from the customer's perspective. Are you able to scroll up? I was typing info to you for the last 8 minutes.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today. I do not like to have moist bandages on. I would remove it as soon as possible. To protect the wound, you can keep him in an Elizabethan collar (cone). It sounds like this will be a good idea even after it has been rebandaged. This will prevent him from licking and getting it wet again. Then, in the meantime, you can keep the wound clean by keeping him indoors as much as possible. When he goes out to urinate/defecate, you can cover his paw with a plastic bag, such as from a loaf of bread. Then use a rubber band to keep the bag up on his leg. He MUST have the rubber band removed immediately upon re-entry into the house. We can cause serious blood supply problems if the rubber band is left on his leg.

Dr. Susan :

That was everything :)

Customer:

I only saw from In the meantime

Customer:

I only saw from in the meantime You have now answered the question since I saw the whole script.

Dr. Susan :

Oh good! Is there more I can help you with today?