How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 20249
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now

my dog may have swallowed some raisins 7 month old English

Customer Question

my dog may have swallowed some raisins
7 month old English setter
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please answer the following, roughly how many raisins and how long ago did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-o6ww38o5- :

not sure - he opened a container on a kitchen top and most were lying around the kitchen top.

JACUSTOMER-o6ww38o5- :

2 hours plus

Scott Nimmo :

The problem you face is that raisins are in fact a significant toxin to dogs but the lowest documented toxic raisin dose in the dog I can find is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight.

Say your dog weighs 20 kg so you would only be worried if he ate 2 oz or more of raisins and there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce so I would not be too worried about him eating less than fifty. Do you think he could have eaten more than fifty?

JACUSTOMER-o6ww38o5- :

he weighs 23 kg

Scott Nimmo :

Even better ...

JACUSTOMER-o6ww38o5- :

hard to say how many he ate but there were a lot left on top and not on floor

Dr Scott Nimmo and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Ok this is a bit of a a gamble, if it was less than say 50 then you have no worries, more than that you should contact and emergency vet who will give the likes of activated charcoal.
As two hours has passed inducing vomiting will not now be effective
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
we can keep chatting this way ...
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Allan,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Brodie is getting on after the raisins incident.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott