Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog is a lhasa apso nearly 8. I took him to the vets 4

my dog is a lhasa apso nearly 8.
I took him to the vets 4 weeks ago and she checked him out and i paid 70 pounds for anti biotics probiotic paste and a anti emetic.He was being sick and vomiting,he wasn't affected any other way.It helped but his stools are still soft but ok to pick up.
He is still on chicken and rice and the occasional treat.He vomits 1-2 times in the week.He vomits especially if he drinks water out of puddles which i try and get him away or put him on a lead.
He ate some sheep stools the other day and his stool was much better,should i get him some probiotic yoghurt or buy him some more paste?what food is best for him as i used to use james wellbeloved for sensitive dogs but when ire introduced that his stools were quite mucous
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If your lad's stools are not back to normal despite treatment and relapse to being mucousy when you put him back onto his usual diet (which I assume didn't cause these kinds of stools before), it does suggest that either that GI bug that triggered his signs last month or a new bacteria (from dirty puddles and by eating feces from other animals) is continuing to cause GI upset for him. And as I am sure you can appreciate, it isn't a surprise if he is vomiting after eating/drinking inappropriate items on his walks.

In regards ***** ***** here, since he keeps challenging his immune system and we cannot be sure that this is related to what he had last month, I would suggest that you consider submitting a fecal sample. This can be submitted to your vet without taking him in to be seen. This can be sent to the lab for testing and let you know if his signs are being triggered by a bacteria, virus, parasite, or protozoal agent. Based on the results, you can work with his vet to target treatment and clear this GI agent for him.

Further to this, if he never had a problem with the JWB diet before, I wouldn't expect a diet change to settle his signs alone. That said, you can consider using a GI sensitive diet like Royal Canin Sensitivity Control (LINK), Hill's I/D (LINK), Purina EN (LINK), and possibly Royal Canin Gastrointestinal (LINK). All these diets come in wet and dry forms.

Further to this, you can continue the probiotic paste you used before or give a small volume of yogurt to help address any GI microflora (good bacteria) disturbances that he will surely have after eating feces and drinking from the puddle. Other options you could try would be Fortiflora (More Info) or Pro-Kolin Enterogenic (More Info). As well, if he is eating feces, you may want to consider worming him at this stage as well.

Overall, for his signs to relapse at this point and with his dirty eating habits, we do have a bit to consider. Therefore, while a diet change can be considered, it would be better to potentially check a fecal sample at this stage. Because it will let you know if you are on the right track with your treatment or if there is something lurking that you have missed with your supportive care.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )