Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our dog has diarrhoea and vomits. She is a labra doodle, aged

Our dog has diarrhoea and vomits. She is a labra doodle, aged 18months. It's Sunday, our vet is closed. We have an appointment to see him next Tuesday 14.10. What advice can you give in the meantime? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?2- How much does she weigh?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Nothing out of the ordinary

2. 24 kgs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter