Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We are looking at purchasing a german shepherd puppy (dog),

Customer Question

We are looking at purchasing a german shepherd puppy (dog), the mum has a hip score of 43 and the dad has a score of 9. The breeder has confirmed that when the mum was a puppy, he walked her on concrete and this is what may have caused the problem. We have recently found out that the mum's mum has a hip score of 18 and the dad 8 stamp. What would be your opinion be that the puppy would have problems with the hip. We are not looking at studding the dog, breading or showing him.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The mum's score of 43 (one hip) should send you away to look for a German shepherd pup elsewhere. The breeder is misguided if he thinks walking the mum on concrete had anything to do with the mum's hips. Take a look at this site for more information concerning scoring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_score

Please notice that the average score for a German shepherd is 13 (one hip). A 43 is near the worst score (53) which can be given. Predicting if an individual pup will become dysplastic isn't an exact science, however. We've seen dysplastic pups born to parents with up to 7 generations of normal hips. I do think that purchasing this pup is looking for trouble, however.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The score of 43 on the mother was spread over both legs, would that make a difference?
Thank you for the additional information. I would need to know how the 43 was spread - for example, 6/37 or 21/22 but in any event, once a hip exceeds 19, moderate dysplasia is evident and so I must continue to dissuade you from purchasing the pup.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.