Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My sixteen year mixture malteze and shih tzu dog the muscles

Customer Question

My sixteen year mixture malteze and shih tzu dog the muscles are very week in her back legs now when she tries to eat they slide underneath her unless i place a rug there i notice when we came back from the park she had blood in her stool she is drinking a lot of water now and very disorantated
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she been having problems with her legs?
2- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual?
3- Is she on any medications?
4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its got worse over the last three months

she is drinking more

no medication

no the vet says its her age

no

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How long has she been drinking more than usual?
2- Has your vet done any testing like blood work or xrays?
3- Is she on any supplements?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the last month

no

no

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.
The weakness in the back legs can be related to arthritis of the hips, spine or secondary to being ill from any of the diseases or a combination of all of these.
The blood in the stool is a sign of inflammation in the large intestine which can be secondary to being systemically ill as described above or a completely different problem like an infection, ingestion of a foreign body, etc.
In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian and doing blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Discuss with your vet about starting her on prescription medication for arthirits like Rimadyl once they have the test results and her gastrointestinal tract issue have resolved. For now, change her diet to a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken. In addition, supplement with a probiotic like fortiflora; this will help with inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. Plus, supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine), this will help with her joints. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel it's sad to put her through this at sixteen years old she hates the vet
She was a stray that I got from a rescue centre in spain when I lived there she is a bit of a malltese poddle always been very small
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The idea is to make her feel better by doing the above testing and medication.