Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a Shit zu dog 6 years old, he is very fit and active,

I have a Shit zu dog 6 years old, he is very fit and active, a real little treasure unfortunately he seems to suffer from itchy ears. He is constantly pushing himself along on the carpet, or the lawn so that his ears are touching the ground, His ears are clean, but he has quite a lot of hair in them, could this be what is causing his discomfort, if so how do I resolve it?.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

We can definitely see guys with itchy ears due to allergies and not necessarily infection.

Dr. Susan :

Removing the hair would be a good first step, but I suspect he will still be itchy even after you have his ears plucked (a groomer would be the best person to do this, at least the first time).

Dr. Susan :

If the itching continues, I recommend trying a ear drop that has a topical steroid in it.

Dr. Susan :

I give most of my patients something like Zymox HC, which is an enzymatic treatment along with hydrocortisone. Very itchy or swollen ears will get Synotic.

Dr. Susan :

You can also try an oral antihistamine.

Dr. Susan :

For a little guy like him, you can give 12.5 mg Benadryl (diphenhydramine) every 8-12 hours.

Dr. Susan :

You can also try 5mg Claritin (loratadine) or 5mg Zyrtec (cetirizine) once daily.

Customer:

Is there a special tool for the removal of hairs from his ears

Dr. Susan :

You can actually do a pretty decent job with your fingers, but you need to put some kind of powder on the hair first so that it is easier to grip.

Dr. Susan :

I haven't really experimented with different types of powder, so I'm not sure what works. I usually use something called NeoPredef powder at work.

Dr. Susan :

There used to be a powder specifically made for ears, but I can't find it anymore.

Dr. Susan :

You can probably find something for this purpose at the regular pet store.

Dr. Susan :

For deeper hairs or more difficult jobs, I will use a tool called a hemostat to grab and pull.