Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

Indian fantail loss of weight, breathing abnormal, movement

Indian fantail loss of weight, breathing abnormal, movement not as active. , however eating and drinking but not as much as normal.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here. Are you available at the moment?
Customer: Sorry just got home from work. The bird is still the same I'm worried bout the weight .
Vet : I'm concerned about the breathing difficulties. Have you other pigeons showing similar signs?
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here. I should be available for the rest of the day. When you reply to this I will be notified.
Customer: Hi, I have other birds but they are fine at the moment. He is going through a heavy malt but I am not convinced this is the reason for the drooped tail and weight loss
Vet :

You're right, birds don't get ill when moulting unless they are undernourished.

Vet :

I think the weight loss may be linked to the breathing disorder. Are you able to open his beak and look down his throat?

Customer: Yes, what do you want me to look out for?
Vet :

A white cheesy deposit at the back, or any redness.

Customer: He's a little red but nothing cheesy, seems very moist, he seems to be panting, a little or breathing more noticeablei
Vet :

Ok, that probably rules out thrush/candidiasis. The most likely cause of his signs is a respiratory tract infection. Birds have a system of air sacs and hollow bones meaning that any lung infection can affect the whole body. I recommend you start him and his companions on a course of oxytetracycline, administered in the drinking water. If you bring him in to your vet they should be happy to prescribe this if they agree and the treatment is cheap, safe and effective.

Vet :

In the meantime, keep him warm and his area well ventilated. Use a kettle to create steam if the area is dusty.

Customer: Ok thank you very much, i brought him in the house last week he's being really well cared for., I gave him a little garlic in his water this morning just incase he had cold etc he's seems ok in himself in a way but I know he is unwell. Thank you again for your kind assistance :)
Vet :

No problem. Please keep me updated with his progress - you can do this free of charge and ask follow-up questions via this thread. All the best, ***** *****

Customer: Will do thank you Andrew