Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We think that our Rhodesian Ridgeback has hurt herself at the

We think that our Rhodesian Ridgeback has hurt herself at the top of the hind leg whilst running a few days ago . She has had a steady 30 minute walk this evening but she appears to try to avoid putting all her weight on it and she sometimes appears awkward when going into her crate. She will not let a vet touch her unless she is sedated! Can we give her any anti inflammatory to ease her discomfort.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello David, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Freyee has injured herself.

Hopefully, she has just pulled a muscle or experienced a sprain/strain and with a few days rest and medication, she'll be fine.

The following would be my suggestions if this were my case:

1. As long as she's not vomiting and isn't currently taking any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or steroids, then she could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day; this drug should be given with food to avoid stomach upset.

Another option would be Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) at a dose of 5 mg/lb twice a day. Care should be taken, however, to avoid access to any cats you might have since this drug can be toxic to them.

2- Rest her for the next 2 weeks; no running or jumping. If she is better within a few days continue to rest her for a total of 6 weeks. Activity should be limited to urinating and defecating on a leash when she's outside.

So, even though she might want to go for walks, I'd avoid them for now.

If you have stronger anti-inflammatory drugs than the ones I mentioned above, please let me know and I can provide the dose.

I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the paracetamol stated the normal household medicine or a special type?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
David:
You're welcome.

The paracetamol is the same thing you or I would take; there's nothing special about it although pet or grain stores often sell "canine" products at a greatly inflated price.

Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
David:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with Freyee. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.