Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

my little yorkie has a face infection she is on antibiotics

Customer Question

my little yorkie has a face infection she is on antibiotics and eye drops, but she has a lot of green mucas coming out of her nose and sneezing, my partner thinks steam will not help so he is stopping me doing it. what else can i do please x
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet :

Hi there, vet Andrew here. Are you online at the moment?

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

yes

Vet :

Ok, what exactly do you mean by face infection? Is there an infection under the skin in a specific area?

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

she got an infection in her face it affected her eye and mouth even though she is loosing her teeth she is 13 but she has developed a bad nose mucas and sneezing

Vet :

Right, I suspect that in a Yorkie of this age there is an infected tooth causing a cellulitis (infection under the skin) and there may be some involvement of the nose cavity as the teeth are right next to it.

Vet :

Since she is on antibiotics already, the infection should be starting to clear, but the nasal mucus may be flowing freely and causing her to sneeze.

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

what can i do to help her breath and ease the snoring

Vet :

In this case I would recommend steam, as it breaks down mucus. Remember that sneezing is a good thing as its function is to clear the nose and help her breathe. You should also, keep wiping her nose and eyes with a damp cotton wool swab. Apply something like E45 after you wipe to prevent chafing.

Vet :

In these cases an abscess can sometimes form above the tooth which will mean the tooth should be extracted and the cavity drained. If she has not improved by Monday I would bring her back to the vet's and discuss this option.

Vet :

Make sure the room she is in is well ventilated and not too stuffy.

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

how can i help her breath

Vet :

Other than keeping her cool and ventilated, while providing steam from a kettle, there is not much you can do at home. If you have any Vick's or similar, dilute some in a mug of hot water and soak it in a flannel. Put this near her nose.

Vet :

Don't give her Sudafed as it acts like a caffeine overdose in dogs.

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

how can i help her breath

Vet :

If you're really worried, phone your vet as they may be prepared to give her something like Millophylline which opens up the airways.

Vet :

I'm sorry you weren't satisfied with my answer. Please let me know what was missing so I can rectify the situation.

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

i want to know what i can do to help my dog breath better

Vet :

Have you got any Vick's vaporub?

JACUSTOMER-rsmt9474- :

no would that help

Vet :

Yes. As I said, dilute a teaspoonful in a mug of hot water and soak a flannel in it. Place the flannel near her nose.

Vet :

Ok, it seems you're still not happy with my answer. I assure you that what I have recommended is the best you can do for Jessica.