Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cavalier king charles has been vomiting bile and white foam

Customer Question

My cavalier king charles has been vomiting bile and white foam for over 3hours ..am very concerned about her as a neighbour said that two dogs in my area were killed with poison
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Poisoning is always possible, and if you consider this a significant threat then you should take your dog to a vet without delay, do you have any idea what sort of poison may be involved?

Scott Nimmo :

That said poisoning is very rare in dogs in my experience in the UK, and such symptoms are common because of gastro-enteritis ...

Scott Nimmo :

I will give you some common sense remedies which some owners for cases of uncomplicated gastro-enteritis but as I said if you are concerned then the best plan is to get a vet involved without delay.

Scott Nimmo :

There are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water and is taking it.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon twice a day should be fine for a dog of Rosie's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Diana

I am just checking in to see how Rosie is getting on today?

Regards,

Scott