Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 12 year old cairne terrier has been under the weather for

Customer Question

My 12 year old cairne terrier has been under the weather for a few days I have made an appointment with my vet for Monday coming, but I am a bit concerned he seems to be breathing hard through his nose, and when he went to jump up onto my sofa it was like his breath went, he seems ok now sleeping in his basket although he is still breathing through his nose
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm concerned about that breathing in a 12 year old such as Ben. Please check his gum and tongue color for me. They should be nicely pink - not whitish or bluish/greyish. Next, please assess his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His gums are a nice pink colour
I put the timer on my phone and he took in about twenty breathes per minute. He is sleeping quietly, but sounds llike someone with a chesty cough
Thank you for the additional information. His color and respiratory rate are good which makes my concern for heart failure at his age less likely. Please keep a watch on those parameters. As long as they don't change, you can wait until Monday to have him seen. The origin of the chesty cough sound needs to be clarified. It can arise from the upper (nose, throat) or lower (lungs) respiratory tract - the lower being most worrisome. Are there any historical physical exam findings that might be referable to his current condition - a heart murmur, e.g.?
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.