Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a male cat approx12 years old who has suffered bladder

Customer Question

I have a male cat approx12 years old who has suffered bladder problems before. I took him to my local vet last week as still scratching after putting new collar and flea spray on him.
Was prescribed Comfortis 270 mg tabs 6 pk (1 per month) (32.95)
1 x Genitrix Rip Fleas extra 600ml. (£19.62)
Consultation (£27.50) Total £80.07
Tablet given to cat and flea spray applied.
Cat now drinking accessively and appears to be restarting with urinary tract problems as he had a few years ago. Also has been sick the last couple of days.
Due to not being able to afford extra treatment as going on credit card which is difficult to pay. Would you consider treating my cat for the urinary problems he seems to have again. I live in Ripley but I am able to bring him to yourselves for treatment if you are able to give.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answred in a timely manner. I first need to correct a misconception you have. You're speaking to vets who might live anywhere in the world. For example, I live in Rancho San Diego, California. It would be quite a commute for you to bring Bacardi to me.

As for Bacardi's medical condition...

His drinking excessively is worrisome. When this is seen concurrent with a urinary tract problem, infection within the kidney(s) (pyelonephritis) is expected. This would be suggested by a urinalysis revealing bacteria in the urine as well as abnormal numbers of red or white blood cells in the urine. Confirmation that the kidneys were involved might come from ultrasounding them.

Polydipsia (increased thirst) can also result from both kidney and liver insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism, hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), hypokalemia (decreased serum potassium level), and the rarer diabetes insipidus and Addison's disease. The point isn't to make a complete list of why Bacardi is symptomatic but, instead, to emphasize that he needs additional testing. I understand your financial constraints, however. I regret that I'm unable to address them, however, other to tell you to call nearby vets to see if they offer payment plans or, indeed, have Fido/Fluffy funds in which good Samaritans help you pay for your pet's care.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.. Apologies, I did not realise that the reply would come from so far away, although I would have preferred the journey to San Diego, California for his consultation !!!

I will indeed take him to a local veterinary surgeon who can prescribe the correct medication asf necessary.

Your reply has made me smile today and I will indeed have to mention this error made by myself to friends and family.

It has been most rewarding to have received your expert knowledge.

***** ***** (Derbyshire, England) ha ha ha. x

You're quite welcome, Pat. I'm pleased to hear that Bacardi will be attended to promptly.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.