Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hi I have a 5 yr old Staffordshire terrior called Crystal.

Hi I have a 5 yr old Staffordshire bull terrior called Crystal. Sinse Friday afternoon when we came back from the park., she has not been herself. when I stroked her back she yelped and could not jump onto the sofa as usual. I thought she must of hurt her back/spine .I let her rest that night but yesterday I took her to see an emergency vet as although she didn't yelp anymore when I touched her back she still couldn't jump or climb stairs and was unusually lethargic. She is walking ok ,no limping.When I went to the vets surgery she was more alert and brighter. HE examined her back an said it felt ok but that the patella on her right leg was popping and that was probably was the cause. He gave me some anti inflammatory medication.
today Crystal is still reluctant to jump on or off the bed or sofa, but has done it and not yelped or flinched. She seems really depressed lethargic and is panting quite a lot on and off. She has let me touch and move her right leg/knee area and doesn't appear in pain or even bothered when I have moved it.? She has eaten and drank ok when I put the food beside her. She is urinating ok and has passed normal stools. But I am still worried that she is not her usual self and has not moved from the same position on sofa for 4 or 5 hrs now.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she walking any different when she does walk?
2- Any vomiting or coughing?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Did the vet do any testing like xrays or blood work?
5- What is the name of the anti inflammatory medication?
6- Can you take her rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your reply,

1 Yes she walking ok ,but slower than usual ,at times she tip toes on and off..

2 no vomiting or coughing

3 She as many allergies to plants etc and is often biting her paws and as a regular vaccination for them last given on Wednesday night by my vet.

4 the emergency vet yesterday did no tests or x rays.

5 The name of the anti medication is loxicom liquid. I gave her the dose of 25 yesterday and again at 9am this morning. 1.5 mg/ml. Her weight is 25kg.

6 I donot have a thermometer.

Thanks Bernadette

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Bernadette, though a luxating patella can be painful the patient with this condition does not become lethargic. For this reason I am inclined to believe there could be something else going on. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, I would want to rule out a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc or even part of a systemic disease.
I would recommend you have her rechecked by a veterinarian. Discuss with the vet about doing blood work to make sure there is nothing going on systemically and xrays. In addition, start her on a pain killer called Tramadol and consider switching the loxicom to a stronger anti inflammatory medication called Prednisone.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Dr Peter.

Would I be able to feel a bulging on her spine, I have just pressed quite hard along it and cannot feel a bulge, but as I don't have a vets expertise I don't really know what to look for .She is ok for me to do this but does seem a bit anxious when I felt towards her tail.

I will take her to my own vet tomorrow and request him to do some tests as you advise and I would need him to give me the suggested changes to her medication as I don't think I could purchase them .

I was going to try to take her for a short walk on the lead up the road, just even for 10 minutes as she has now come off the sofa and sat by the front door. Do you think this would be ok?

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
No Bernadette you can not feeling a bulging disc upon palpatation as the disc are within a chain of bones along the back (vertebral column). Xrays are the initial screening test, some times we need to do advance imaging like an MRI or Myelogram for a definitive diagnosis.
I would limit her activity to a short walk to urinate and defecate on leash.
The medications I described above are not available over the counter, they are prescription medication only available through a veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok . thanks You also mentioned earlier in our chat that it could also be a systemic disease, what might that be ?.

Bernadette.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
A systemic disease would be kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for your advice. I have just taken her for a short walk and she seemed ok. Now resting on the floor but as I said earlier I will get her checked over by my vet in the morning. I appreciate your answers and thanks again.

Kind Regards

Bernadette.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Bernadette.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.